The Best Prevention Tips for Iron Deficiency Anemia in Children
May 16th, 2019 by Brown Traci
There are a lot of children who have a serious iron deficiency which deteriorates their skin and affects their appetite. For these reasons, parents have to be careful and provide the necessary nutrients. Children suffer miserably during their development years, the reason is iron deficiency anemia.
With the help of iron, it is possible to have easy movement of oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. It even assists in storing muscles and using oxygen. Your child can suffer from an iron deficiency at multiple levels. If left untreated it can have a drastic effect on the health of the child.
Every child needs a steady flow of iron to perform at their peak and grow faster with enhanced development. Babies who are born prematurely, more than 3 weeks before their due date or have a low birth weight are prone to suffer from iron deficiency anemia. Adolescent girls have more iron deficiency as their body loses iron during menstruation. Children also undergo from diet problems and chronic attacks when there is an insufficient amount of iron in the body.
You cannot judge iron deficiency until the child is suffering from anemia. Moreover, there are few signs by which you can know that the child has anemia. Have a look!
Signs of Iron Deficiency in Children
- Pale skin;
- Poor appetite;
- Behavioral problems;
- Slowed growth and development;
- Frequent infections;
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances like dirt, starch, paint or ice.
Diagnosing Anemia In Children
If you find the symptoms of Anemia in your children, visit a doctor in high priority. The doctor will do the check up and also take a blood count of the child. After the complete blood count (CBC) is taken, the doctor will verify the red blood cells and hemoglobin. Abnormal level of red blood cells can be considered as problematic to the child’s health. Platelets are also one of the factors to be considered while diagnosing Anemia in your children.
Iron Overdose Can Also be a Trouble
Anything in abundance can be a trouble, same is the case with iron that if you give the child more portion of iron than the desired amount it can be injurious for their well-being. 20 mg is a secure upper limit for the children. Doctors would be the best to guide you to take a sufficient measure of the iron. Don’t take any iron tablets without prescription of a specialist as iron overdose could cause you big trouble.
Precautions of Iron Deficiency in Children
It is extremely decisive to diagnose children with iron deficiency. This needs to start between the period of 9 months to 12 months. To prevent this condition, it is important to provide iron-rich foods to the children in meals and snacks. Also, regular check-ups from your doctor and in taking iron supplements can help in overcoming this condition.
- Make changes in the diet of your child and make them eat food which is loaded with iron.
- Infants must be given breast milk or infant formula which has iron in it.
- Moreover, the infant must be given iron-filled solid foods starting from the 6 months from birth.
- Cereals are the best way to induce iron in children.
- You can also cook food in the iron pan which can be a daily source of iron in your child.
- The vitamin-rich foods such as tomatoes, oranges, broccoli, lemon are also a great source of iron supplement for kids.
- Avoid giving whole milk to an infant.
- Whole grain food items such as bread, pasta, cereals are rich in iron, consume it!
- Eggs are also considered to be good when your child is asked to eat iron in sufficient amount.
- If diet changes are not enough, you must visit a doctor and take proper medications.
- When the child suffers from extreme conditions, the child would need red blood cells from a donor who is healthy.
- This way the child would get oxygen which is needed for ample intake of iron.
- Blood transfusion is an overnight process and one of the best treatments in extreme conditions of iron deficiency.
- Also, due to this deficiency, the skin of the child becomes dull, in such condition fast recovery is necessary.
- Polysaccharide iron complex is a drug which improves low iron levels in your children.
- Make sure to make your children understand the need for iron in the body.
Prevention is a Primary Cure
As a parent, your foremost responsibility is giving proper childcare. Which means you have to concentrate on balancing their lifestyle and provide proper nutrients.
It is better to provide your child with a combo of fruits, veggies, pulses, grains, and some really good fats.
By doing this your child body will get ready to adopt various nutrients at an early age, that will help them in fighting against several diseases in the future.
For basic information about some diseases, you can absolutely use Google.
Do not be a doctor by yourself and not to Google everything, as you need professional assistance when comes to the health of your child.